In order to find out how to prevent high electricity bills, its important to know how much electricity each appliance in your home uses. Here are some tips to help you keep your home as energy efficient as possible in order to lower your electricity costs.
Air Conditioning & Heating
Your HVAC system that cools and heats your home is what uses the most electricity. This makes sense as it needs much energy to either heat or cool each room in your home. Some things you can do to reduce using your HVAC system as often include:
- Using ceiling fans
- Make sure your HVAC is regularly inspected
- Close your curtains during hot summer days or keep them open during the winter to get heat from the sun.
- Replace your air filters so that your HVAC works properly
- Regularly dust and vacuum to prevent clogs
- Dress appropriately by wearing extra layers in the winter and fewer layers in the summer
- Use blankets for extra warmth in the winter.
Water heaters are next on the list for things that use the most electricity. If you’re wondering how to use your water heater less, try these options:
- Set the temperature to 120F or lower
- Insulate the hot water pipes
- Wrap a water heater with an insulation jacket
- Turn down the water heater during the day when you are not home or when you go on a vacation
- Invest in water-conserving showerheads and faucet aerators
- Upgrade to a solar water heater
You may think that there’s no way of lowering the amount of electricity your day to day appliances use, yet, there is.
While you can’t turn your refrigerator off, there are things you can do to reduce the electricity used.
- Don’t put too many things in your refrigerator
- Keep the products you use the most in the easiest to reach place so your door is not open for too long
- Make sure your refrigerator is set to a recommended temperature
- Regularly clean underneath and behind the refrigerator to maintain airflow
- Invest in a newer refrigerator that is more energy efficient
Washer & Dryer
When it comes to using your washer and dryer there are a few ways to lower the amount of energy it uses.
- Do full loads at a time instead of half loads so that you are using the machine less frequently. However, do not overload as that will result in the washer needing more energy
- Wash your clothes with cold water to avoid having the water heater turned up
- Use drying racks as much as possible to avoid using the dryer
- Clear the lint in your dryer after each use
Electric Stove & Oven
Use these tips to reduce the electricity load from your electric stove and oven with these tips:
- Use a smaller appliance if possible such as a toaster oven or microwave
- Try to use the oven and stove during cooler hours of the day
- Only preheat the oven if it is necessary for the dish to cook the right way
- Turn off the burners a few minutes before the dish is done and let the remaining heat finish the job
The lights throughout your home do not use as much electricity as one may think, however, if they are left on for no reason they can rack up the electricity bill. Here’s what you can do:
- Make sure lights are off in rooms no one is in
- Use LED bulbs that are energy efficient
- During the day open the curtains so you can use the natural light instead of needing to turn on your lights
- Use motion detectors on outdoor lights so that they only turn on when someone needs them
Contact Brunelli Electric
If you’re looking for an electrician in Franklin, MA, or its surrounding towns, contact Brunelli Electric! We are happy to assist you with all your electric needs. Check out all the services we offer on our website.